I like food! I mean, a lot! When I started Paleo, I was worried that I would end up always eating bland meals. I think I can honestly say my desire to create new, tasty meals has flourished. I think part of it is that food tastes different now – it tastes better now. I’ve found that keeping things simple allows the food’s natural flavors to stand out, rather than be hidden by lots of seasons. I can honestly say that most of my meals are made with less than a half dozen spices. Here’s what I came up with the other night.
When I think if short ribs, I think rich and savory. I also think about the time that goes into making them. It seems like the longer they cook, the better they turn out. Thank goodness for the crockpot! Being able to put your meal in the crock pot in the morning, and come home to a meal cooked to perfection can be such a good thing. From the time I took the short ribs out of the freezer to the time they were it the crockpot was about 12 minutes. This meal is definitely something you could make before heading out the door in the morning to work or school, and come home to an amazing meal at the end of the day. As I have talked about in previous posts, procrastinating Paleo meals can really make it difficult. The crockpot is a great tool that can allow you to have a delicious meal at the end of a long day.
Ingredients: (Makes 2 servings)
4 beef short ribs
1 onion, sliced
Fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Start by heating a heavy pan over medium high heat. Season the short ribs with the salt and peoper on all sides. Add the coconut oil and sear the short ribs, approximately one minute per side, making sure the ribs are browned before turning.
- Place the onion slices on the bottom of the crockpot, creating a bed for the ribs to sit on.
- Arrange the short ribs on the bed of onions.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together and pour over short ribs.
- Pace the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours. Now go about your day, go workout, go get more groceries so you don’t find yourself procrastinating later in the week.
These ribs would go great with some mashed cauliflower. Here is a very tasty recipe I found last week for mashed cauliflower than will blow your mind.
So the next time you’re faced with a long day ahead of you, give this recipe a try. You can start it in the morning and it will be waiting for you when you get home! Let me know what you think and please share your favorite crockpot meals by leaving a comment.